The Crusades is a new three-part series for BBC Two, Dr Thomas Asbridge presents his revelatory account of the Crusades, the 200-year war between Christians and Muslims for control of the Holy Land. The story of the Crusades is remembered as a tale of religious fanaticism and unspeakable violence, but now fresh research, eyewitness testimony, and contemporary evidence from both the Christian and Islamic worlds shed new light on how these two great religions waged war in the name of God. History, War Documentary hosted by Thomas Asbridge, published by BBC in 2012.
Episode one traces the epic journey of the first crusaders, as they marched 3,000 miles from Europe to recapture the city of Jerusalem from Islam, enduring starvation, disease and bloodthirsty battle to reach their sacred goal, and then unleashed an appalling tide of barbaric violence upon their Muslim enemies. Yet far from being the invincible holy warriors of legend, Dr Asbridge reveals that these crusaders actually considered surrender in the midst of their titanic expedition.
Dr Thomas Asbridge retraces the steps of the first crusaders.
- Richard I of England and the third crusade (s0282282.wordpress.com)
- Crusaders (jpazzy.wordpress.com)
- My Review of S.J. Hodge’s Secrets of The Knights Templar (jimkane.wordpress.com)
- Timeline of the Islamic Crusades: The Truth about Islamic Imperialism (themuslimissue.wordpress.com)
- The First Crusade Was Started on November 27, 1095 (freeemployeenewsletter.com)
- The Crusades: What Really Happened (str.typepad.com)
- Crusader Ranks growing in U.S. Military? (jewishterrorism.com)
- Timeline of the Islamic Crusades: The Truth about Islamic Imperialism (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- Appel à contribution – The Third International Symposium on Crusade Studies (blogdurmblf.blogspot.com)