1. An article: If you only want to read one link, this might be the one: Why You Never Need A Tetanus Vaccine, Regardless of Your Age or Location by Dave Mihalovic. This is a thoroughly documented thoughtful look at fact and fiction regarding the tetanus shot. A MUST READ for every parent by a Naturopathic Doctor who specializes in vaccine research, cancer prevention and a natural approach to treatment.
2. A Video: Great detailed information by Dr Sherri Tenpenny’s brief video. Dr Tennpenny has logged over 18,000 hours in vaccine research in addition to her medical training and experience. She is someone who reads ALL the details and explains what she learns in an understandable way. She once gave out “tetanus shots” like candy in the ER. Now she explains the science.
3. Another video: 11 minutes on Tetanus, Prevention, Wound Care and Vitamin C by Dr Suzanne Humphries. An internal medicine specialist who began to listen to her patients when they responded with vaccine injuries and has spent years of her life devoted to the truth about vaccines, illness and the route to true health.
4. Very well stated points here by Emily, a.k.a. Holistic Squid, who lives in the mountains above Malibu, CA; a mom, acupuncturist, and blogger in love with real food and healthy living. Sometimes moms have done more research than doctors – they take their role as protector of their child’s health very seriously.
5. A good summary with more links to explore by Guggie Daily, a blogger who provides a fresh, evidence-based perspective for today’s parents on a variety of early childhood topics.
6. More research: One of my favorite bloggers who researches, thinks and expresses herself really clearly! Jessica Gianelloni who summarizes what she has discovered in The Truth About Tetanus. [This link is currently not working as Jessica has had to make changes in her website. I am leaving it in with the hope that it will be available in the future]
7. An article by Tetyana Obukhanych, Ph.D. in Immunology, tetanus-shot-how-do-we-know-that-it-works?
8. An article by an evidence based blogger, The Healthy Home Economist, in which she shares her personal story of receiving a tetanus shot (actually Td) and experiencing a vaccine injury resulting in neuralgia leading her to embark on a journey of serious research.
9. And yet another summary of research by a seasoned thinking mother, who also answers practical questions like how to avoid tetanus, and what to do if you suspect tetanus, in her article A Dose of Reality.
10. A Naturopathic understanding and approach to treating tetanus is outlined here by Ingri Cassel, Director, Vaccination Liberation, an organization dedicated to providing truth about vaccines.
Called Tetanus is unique among the so-cvaccine-preventable diseases as it is not communicable and therefore the ‘herd immunity’ argument is not applicable. Tetanus as a clinical entity is linked to the bacterium Clostridium tetani, however this bacterium is recovered from a wound in only 30% of cases, and is often isolated from patients who have not developed tetanus.
The tetanus bacterium is ubiquitous. It is not here today gone tomorrow. It is found on the surface of the body, in the mouth, in the gastro-intestinal tract, in house dust and clothing. It occurs extensively in cultivated soils. The organism lives as a harmless commensal in the gut of many animals, in addition to humans (rural residents tend to have higher rates of intestinal carriage than city dwellers). In spite of the ubiquity of the so-called cause, the incidence of tetanus is significantly low.
It is not the bacterium itself that causes the development of tetanus but the toxins it produces under anaerobic conditions. “Under normal conditions, no disease will occur if spores are introduced into a wound.”(J. Ark Med Soc Vol 80, No 3 p134) and “It is the compromised host, or traumatised patient, either by surgery or accident, who is most apt to develop tetanus.” (J Foot Surgery Vol 23, No 3 p235).