Meet the Herbicide that’s Causing Autism in Half of All Children
It seems that another month can’t go by without discovering yet another study that once again proves that Monsanto still is the most evil corporation on the planet (keep trying BP).
Regardless, Monsanto is at it again.
It seems it can’t be content with poisoning entire farming communities in Argentina, developing herbicide that are decimating the worldwide bee population, putting small farmers out of business with their cutthroat business models, or forcing GMOs down our throats to maximize their profits.
No, it seems the one thing Monsanto has to excel at is creating human misery wherever it can. Maybe it’s working for a lifetime achievement award?
Remember, regardless of what Monsanto’s PR department will have you believe, GMOs are specifically designed to maximize their marketability, shelf life, and production efficiency.
Study Finds Monsanto’s GM Corn Nutritionally Dead, Highly Toxic
Similar to the fluoride in your water, the BT Toxin in your GM Corn is toxic and poisonous. There were never any longitudinal studies on ANY Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) products, except for the guinea pigs who consume this toxic garbage on a daily basis. BT Corn is found in many products, such as cereal, corn chips and anything that contains High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS), such as soda, juices, bread, yogurt (not all), salad dressing, most candy, gum and even some ‘nutritional’ bars.
Is GMO corn nutritionally equivalent to non-GMO corn? Monsanto will tell you the answer is a big ‘yes’, but the real answer is absolutely not. And the simple reality is that they are continuing to get away with their blatant misinformation. In fact, a 2012 nutritional analysis of genetically modified corn found that not only is GM corn lacking in vitamins and nutrients when compared to non-GM corn, but the genetic creation also poses numerous health risks due to extreme toxicity.
With the recent passing of the Monsanto Protection Act, there is no question that mega corporations like Monsanto are able to wield enough power to even surpass that of the United States government. The new legislation provides Monsanto with a legal safeguard against federal courts striking down any pending review of dangerous GM crops. It is ironic to see the passing of such a bill in the face of continuous releases of GMO dangers.
Non-GMO Corn 20x Richer in Nutrition than GMO Corn
The 2012 report, entitled 2012 Nutritional Analysis: Comparison of GMO Corn versus Non-GMO Corn, found numerous concerning and notable differences between GMO and non-GMO corn, none of which are particularly surprising. First, the report found that non-GMO corn has considerably more calcium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, iron, and zinc.
Big Drop In Reported Flu Cases
Less than half of the residents in Windsor-Essex have received their flu shot this season, but the local health unit is reporting a drop in the number of influenza cases.
The opening sentence really tells us a lot (not all, but a lot) of what we need to know. Lots of residents aren’t getting a flu shot, lots or residents aren’t getting the flu. Valid? Not totally, but that’s a decent start. We now find out that there is a 94% decrease in confirmed flu cases from the prior year. What do we also know? I remind you, less than half of residents got a flu shot. So what conclusion is drawn by health officials? That flu shots are helping stave off the flu.
The sentence which follows this ridiculous conclusion is none other than verifiable stats backing up the low number of flu shots, citing 40%. Let’s abort the premise that this article is a ridiculous fallacy and move on to more grand concepts. First, if flu cases are down to minuscule occurrences, wouldn’t it be best to simply stay the path? Why try to fix something which isn’t broken? Clearly, that’s rhetorical on my part because I know the answer to be for pharmaceutical companies to create revenue. That answer hides in plain site. How could you even deny it? There are hardly any flu cases. People aren’t getting flu shots. So your suggestion is to give people more flu shots. What else besides egregious profiteering exist here?
The above article is a perfect example of agenda-ridden garbage. I can’t say that the media outlet itself intentionally conspires in nefarious ways, I think it actually might be utter stupidity on behalf of an editorial staff which is exposed by national health agencies. The article is embarrassing but consistent with worldwide journalistic ineptness. But the worst part is that people will read this and interpret logic. And this is far from logic.
What is FLUAD™?
FLUAD™ is a standard-dose, three-component (trivalent) inactivated flu vaccine that contains an adjuvant. It is manufactured using an egg-based process (like most flu vaccines), and is formulated with the adjuvant MF59. An adjuvant is an ingredient added to a vaccine that helps create a stronger immune response to vaccination.
What is MF59?
MF59 is an oil-in-water emulsion of squalene oil. Squalene, a naturally occurring substance found in humans, animals and plants, is highly purified for the vaccine manufacturing process. FLUAD™ is approved for use among people 65 years and older, who often have a lower protective immune response after flu vaccination compared to younger, healthier people.
Highly toxic squalene MF59 adjuvant that caused Gulf War syndrome in military servicemen now being added to some civilian flu vaccines
At a 2010 gathering of the American Rally for Personal Rights in Chicago, registered nurse and retired Air Force Captain Richard Rovet warned his listening audience about the dangers of squalene MF59, the devastation and horrors of which he witnessed first hand during his time in the service. The experimental oil-in-water adjuvant, which was forced on all servicemen beginning in 1999 via the mandatory anthrax vaccine, caused many of Capt. Rovet’s comrades to suffer severe and permanent side effects. One of Capt. Rovet’s closest friends, in fact, was actually killed as a result of squalene MF59.
“For the past 64 years, the United States Military and other agencies within our government have used our servicemen and women as test subjects, oftentimes in secret and without informed consent,” explained Capt. Rovet. “In December of 1994, the United States Senate released a report titled, ‘Is military research hazardous to a veteran’s health? Lessons spanning half a century’ … [that] outlines the unethical use of servicemen and women as test subjects, guinea pigs.”
After establishing that squalene MF59 was admittedly experimental, Capt. Rovet went on to explain how the U.S. government willfully ignored all documented evidence showing that the anthrax vaccine, and squalene MF59 in particular, was directly responsible for triggering an epidemic of Gulf War syndrome that left hundreds of thousands of servicemen seriously injured or dead. Not only this, but the U.S. Department of Defense actually ordered that both the anthrax vaccine and a related botulism toxoid vaccine, both of which contained experimental squalene MF59, not be annotated in soldiers’ medical records — they were instead generically identified as “Vac A” and “Vac B” in order to conceal their identity.
“Roughly one in four of the 697,000 veterans, my brothers and sisters who served in the first Gulf War, are afflicted with Gulf War illness … [and] study after study shows a higher rate of Gulf War illness in vaccinated veterans. That’s a fact,” added Capt. Rovet. “Military members can be ordered to take medicines and vaccines against their will, or be imprisoned and discharged from the armed forces with a criminal record for the rest of their lives, right up there with rape perpetrators.”
Gulf war syndrome linked to a toxic vaccine ingredient
Squalene was used as an adjuvant in compulsory anthrax vaccinations given to servicemen during the Gulf War. Adjuvants are substances added to vaccines to create a stronger immune response to the vaccine. The anthrax vaccines used an oil-in-water emulsion of squalene known as MF59.
Many health activists maintain that the U.S. government willfully ignored evidence showing that MF59 in anthrax vaccine triggered Gulf war syndrome. Initially the Department of Defense denied squalene’s presence in the compulsory vaccines, but the FDA found evidence of the substance, and tests detecting anti-squalene antibodies in Gulf War Syndrome patients provided a clear link.
How does squalene harm the human body?
Squalene is a naturally occurring substance in animals, plants and humans. Found in abundant supply throughout the nervous system and brain, squalene is actually a beneficial antioxidant when consumed.
But, injecting squalene as an adjuvant is a different story. Adjuvants enhance the immune response and cause the immune system to overreact to the introduction of the organism being vaccinated against. Experts report that the immune system is triggered to attack squalene throughout the entire body – even where it is vital to the nervous system. In truth, studies confirm that adjuvants like squalene can generate long-term, concentrated and unremitting immune responses.
In a study published in the American Journal of Pathology in 2000, a single injection of squalene caused rheumatoid arthritis – an autoimmune disease – in rats. Is it surprising in any way that an overwhelming amount of Gulf war syndrome patients suffer from autoimmune diseases?
Incidentally, adjuvants are used to make it possible to use smaller amounts of a flu vaccine, thus allowing for a greater amount of individual doses – and greater profits for the pharmaceutical companies.
Liz Phenneger, a nurse who used to work at Deaconess Hospital, is currently recovering from Guillain-Barré at St. Luke’s Rehabilitation Institute.
She started feeling weak following a flu vaccine and was diagnosed on Oct. 24.
Phenneger spent almost two weeks at Sacred Heart before moving to St. Luke’s for recovery and said she still has limited strength. At times, she feels like she’s “holding on to an electrical wire.”
“I can’t bend my feet, it just feels like I’m wearing big boots or something,” she said.
Whooping cough resurgence due to vaccinated people not knowing they’re infectious?
June 24, 2015
Santa Fe Institute
The dramatic resurgence of whooping cough is due, in large part, to vaccinated people who are infectious but who do not display the symptoms, suggests a new study.
…vaccinated people who are infectious but who do not display the symptoms of whooping cough, suggesting that the number of people transmitting without symptoms may be many times greater than those transmitting with symptoms.
The problem is, the newer vaccines might not block transmission. A January 2014 study in PNAS by another research team demonstrated that giving baboons acellular pertussis vaccines prevented them from developing symptoms of whooping cough but failed to stop transmission.
Building on that result, Althouse and Scarpino used whopping cough case counts from the CDC, genomic data on the pertussis bacteria, and a detailed epidemiological model of whooping cough transmission to conclude that acellular vaccines may well have contributed to — even exacerbated — the recent pertussis outbreak by allowing infected individuals without symptoms to unknowingly spread pertussis multiple times in their lifetimes.
Washington, D.C., March 3, 2015 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Physicians and public health officials know that recently vaccinated individuals can spread disease and that contact with the immunocompromised can be especially dangerous. For example, the Johns Hopkins Patient Guide warns the immunocompromised to “Avoid contact with children who are recently vaccinated,” and to “Tell friends and family who are sick, or have recently had a live vaccine (such as chicken pox, measles, rubella, intranasal influenza, polio or smallpox) not to visit.”1
A statement on the website of St. Jude’s Hospital warns parents not to allow people to visit children undergoing cancer treatment if they have received oral polio or smallpox vaccines within four weeks, have received the nasal flu vaccine within one week, or have rashes after receiving the chickenpox vaccine or MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) vaccine.2
“The public health community is blaming unvaccinated children for the outbreak of measles at Disneyland, but the illnesses could just as easily have occurred due to contact with a recently vaccinated individual,” says Sally Fallon Morell, president of the Weston A. Price Foundation. The Foundation promotes a healthy diet, non-toxic lifestyle and freedom of medical choice for parents and their children. “Evidence indicates that recently vaccinated individuals should be quarantined in order to protect the public.”
Scientific evidence demonstrates that individuals vaccinated with live virus vaccines such as MMR (measles, mumps and rubella), rotavirus, chicken pox, shingles and influenza can shed the virus for many weeks or months afterwards and infect the vaccinated and unvaccinated alike.
Officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say the best way to prevent pertussis is to get vaccinated. But data from the Vermont Department of Health (DOH) suggest that going through the pertussis vaccination regimen is not a sure-fire way to ward off the highly contagious disease.
In 2014, an outbreak of whooping cough (pertussis) broke out in the San Diego area. Of the 621 individuals who were infected, nearly all of them were completely up to date on all preventive vaccinations. If vaccines are given to protect from disease, how could this happen?
San Diego public health official Dr. Wilma Wooten argued that the cause was related to a decrease in the protection offered by vaccines after the first year. This answer is most revealing, in that it speaks to the actual efficacy of vaccines. It also shows that the concept of herd immunity is largely myth—and completely misunderstood.
The theory of herd immunity states that when a critical mass of the population (usually stipulated at 95%) is vaccinated against a disease, the possibility of outbreaks is eliminated. This is the main argument that is used to shame parents who wish to refuse certain vaccinations for their children: by not vaccinating, they put the health of the “herd” at risk.
However, if vaccines start losing effectiveness after the first year, as Dr. Wooten says, then constant revaccination would be required, since the immunity offered is only temporary for most vaccines. Achieving the required rate of protection is virtually impossible under this paradigm.
Of course, if we look back over the decades and note the lack of rampant epidemics in our nation, while remembering that vaccine protection is in perpetual decline, the myth of herd immunity quickly unravels. Our society has never achieved this level of herd immunity, yet not a single major outbreak of disease has occurred.
The argument for herd immunity was actually developed out of observations of natural immunity, not vaccination. Statisticians observed that populations were protected when sufficient members contracted the wild form of a disease, and subsequently acquired lifelong immunity. With vaccines, however, evidence shows that unvaccinated children may catch infectious diseases from vaccinated children. What is true of natural immunity is not true of vaccination.
Adverse Effects of Pertussis and Rubella Vaccines (1991)
Parents have come to depend on vaccines to protect their children from a variety of diseases. Some evidence suggests, however, that vaccination against pertussis (whooping cough) and rubella (German measles) is, in a small number of cases, associated with increased risk of serious illness.
This book examines the controversy over the evidence and offers a comprehensively documented assessment of the risk of illness following immunization with vaccines against pertussis and rubella. Based on extensive review of the evidence from epidemiologic studies, case histories, studies in animals, and other sources of information, the book examines:
The relation of pertussis vaccines to a number of serious adverse events, including encephalopathy and other central nervous system disorders, sudden infant death syndrome, autism, Guillain-Barre syndrome, learning disabilities, and Reye syndrome.
The relation of rubella vaccines to arthritis, various neuropathies, and thrombocytopenic purpura.
The volume, which includes a description of the committee’s methods for evaluating evidence and directions for future research, will be important reading for public health officials, pediatricians, researchers, and concerned parents.
Whooping cough increase related to current vaccine
The move to an artificially created vaccine for whooping cough is behind an increase in cases of the deadly disease in the US, a new study suggests.
The findings highlight the need to do similar research in Australia where whooping cough cases have spiralled upward in the past decade, co-author Associate Professor Manoj Gambhir, from the University of Monash, says.
In 2012 the US saw the highest number of pertussis (whooping cough) cases since 1955.
At the same time there has been a shift in the age group reporting the largest number of cases from adolescents to 7 to 11 year olds.
In the paper, published today in PLOS Computational Biology, Gambhir and colleagues use mathematical modelling of 60 years of pertussis disease data to determine what best explains this increase.
A Change in Vaccine Efficacy and Duration of Protection Explains Recent Rises in Pertussis Incidence in the United States
Published: April 23, 2015
Over the past ten years the incidence of pertussis in the United States (U.S.) has risen steadily, with 2012 seeing the highest case number since 1955. There has also been a shift over the same time period in the age group reporting the largest number of cases (aside from infants), from adolescents to 7–11 year olds. We use epidemiological modelling and a large case incidence dataset to explain the upsurge. We investigate several hypotheses for the upsurge in pertussis cases by fitting a suite of dynamic epidemiological models to incidence data from the National Notifiable Disease Surveillance System (NNDSS) between 1990–2009, as well as incidence data from a variety of sources from 1950–1989. We find that: the best-fitting model is one in which vaccine efficacy and duration of protection of the acellular pertussis (aP) vaccine is lower than that of the whole-cell (wP) vaccine, (efficacy of the first three doses 80% [95% CI: 78%, 82%] versus 90% [95% CI: 87%, 94%]), increasing the rate at which disease is reported to NNDSS is not sufficient to explain the upsurge and 3) 2010–2012 disease incidence is predicted well. In this study, we use all available U.S. surveillance data to: 1) fit a set of mathematical models and determine which best explains these data and 2) determine the epidemiological and vaccine-related parameter values of this model. We find evidence of a difference in efficacy and duration of protection between the two vaccine types, wP and aP (aP efficacy and duration lower than wP). Future refinement of the model presented here will allow for an exploration of alternative vaccination strategies such as different age-spacings, further booster doses, and cocooning.
FDA NEWS RELEASE – FDA study helps provide an understanding of rising rates of whooping cough and response to vaccination
For Immediate Release: Nov. 27, 2013
A new study is helping to provide a better understanding of vaccines for whooping cough, the common name for the disease pertussis. Based on an animal model, the study conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and published November 25, 2013, in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, shows that acellular pertussis vaccines licensed by the FDA are effective in preventing the disease among those vaccinated, but suggests that they may not prevent infection from the bacteria that causes whooping cough in those vaccinated or its spread to other people, including those who may not be vaccinated.
While the reasons for the increase in cases of whooping cough are not fully understood, multiple factors are likely involved, including diminished immunity from childhood pertussis vaccines, improved diagnostic testing, and increased reporting. With its own funds plus support from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), the FDA conducted the study to explore the possibility that acellular pertussis vaccines, while protecting against disease, might not prevent infection.
Study- Acellular pertussis vaccines protect against disease but fail to prevent infection and transmission in a nonhuman primate model
Although pertussis resurgence is not completely understood, we hypothesize that current acellular pertussis (aP) vaccines fail to prevent colonization and transmission.
To test our hypothesis, infant baboons were vaccinated at 2, 4, and 6 mo of age with aP or whole-cell pertussis (wP) vaccines and challenged with
pertussis at 7 mo. Infection was followed by quantifying colonization in nasopharyngeal washes and monitoring leukocytosis and symptoms. Baboons vaccinated with aP were
protected from severe pertussis-associated symptoms but not from colonization, did not clear the infection faster than naïve animals, and readily transmitted
pertussis to unvaccinated contacts. Vaccination with wP induced a more rapid clearance compared with naïve and aP-vaccinated animals. By comparison, previously infected
animals were not colonized upon secondary infection. Although all vaccinated and previously infected animals had robust serum antibody responses, we found key differences in T-cell immunity.
Previously infected animals and wP-vaccinated animals possess strong pertussis-specific T helper 17 (Th17) memory and Th1 memory,whereas aP vaccination induced a Th1/Th2 response instead. The
observation that aP, which induces an immune response mismatched to that induced by natural infection, fails to prevent colonization or transmission provides a plausible explanation for the
resurgence of pertussis and suggests that optimal control of pertussis will require the development of improved vaccine
In the marketing and licensure of the HPV vaccine, changes to cervical cells have been equated with death. This is called using a “surrogate marker” and in vaccine research, this is considered acceptable because we can’t otherwise prove a non-event is attributable to an intervention. There are leaps in logic and in science inherent in this practice, that render conclusions nothing more than false marketing.
In fact, none of the HPV vaccines have ever been proven to prevent a single case of cervical cancer. Don’t take my word for it, listen to what Diane Harper, one of the lead researchers for the vaccine, and a whistleblower, has to say
Around 2,000 reported side effects after using Gardasil cervical cancer vaccine have determined Japanese government officials to withdraw Gardasil from the market in 2013, despite the vaccine being highly promoted in the United States and now approved by the European Union.
“Japanese health officials have recorded nearly 2,000 adverse reactions – hundreds of them serious,” reported Judicial Watch, the Washington-based corruption watchdog that has been monitoring the effects – and health costs – of the drug’s use in the United States for years.
“The alarming reports have led Japan’s government to take action, suspending recommendation for the controversial vaccine which is billed as a miracle shot that can prevent certain strains of cervical cancer caused by Human Papillomavirus (HPV).”
Whooping cough, or pertussis, is spreading across Vermont at a record rate this year, with 310 cases confirmed so far. As that number continues to climb, however, a clear-cut remedy is nowhere in sight.
Officials at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) say the best way to prevent pertussis is to get vaccinated. But data from the Vermont Department of Health (DOH) suggest that going through the pertussis vaccination regimen is not a sure-fire way to ward off the highly contagious disease.
GreenMedInfo.com has painstakingly collected over 300 pages of study abstracts culled directly from the National Library of Medicine’s pubmed.gov bibliographic database on the wide-ranging adverse health effects linked to vaccines in the today’s schedule (over 200 distinct adverse effects, including death), as well as numerous studies related to vaccine contamination, and vaccine failure in highly vaccine compliant populations.
1. Hepatitis B Vaccination of Male Neonates and Autism Annals of Epidemiology, September 2009 CM Gallagher, MS Goodman, Stony Brook University Medical CenterBoys vaccinated as neonates had threefold greater odds for autism diagnosis compared to boys never vaccinated or vaccinated after the first month of life.
2. Porphyrinuria in childhood autistic disorder: Implications for environmental toxicity Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 2006 Robert Natafa, et al, Laboratoire Philippe Auguste, Paris, France These data implicate environmental toxicity in childhood autistic disorder.
3. Theoretical aspects of autism: Causes—A review Journal of Immunotoxicology, January-March 2011 Helen V. Ratajczak, PhD Autism could result from more than one cause, with different manifestations in different individuals that share common symptoms. Documented causes of autism include genetic mutations and/or deletions, viral infections, and encephalitis following vaccination.
4. Uncoupling of ATP-mediated Calcium Signaling and Dysregulated IL-6 Secretion in Dendritic Cells by Nanomolar Thimerosal Environmental Health Perspectives, July 2006. Samuel R. Goth, Ruth A. Chu Jeffrey P. Gregg This study demonstrates that very low-levels of Thimerosal can contribute to immune system disregulation.
5. Gender-selective toxicity of thimerosal Exp Toxicol Pathol. 2009 Mar;61(2):133-6. Epub 2008 Sep 3. Branch DR, Departments of Medicine and Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, University of Toronto A recent report shows a correlation of the historical use of thimerosal in therapeutic immunizations with the subsequent development of autism; however, this association remains controversial. Autism occurs approximately four times more frequently in males compared to females; thus, studies of thimerosal toxicity should take into consideration gender-selective effects. The present study was originally undertaken to determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) of thimersosal in male and female CD1 mice. However, during the limited MTD studies, it became apparent that thimerosal has a differential MTD that depends on whether the mouse is male or female.
6. Comparison of Blood and Brain Mercury Levels in Infant monkeys exposed to Vaccines Containing Thimerosal Environmental Health Perspectives, Aug 2005. Thomas Burbacher, PhD, University of Washington This study demonstrates clearly and unequivocally that ethyl mercury, the kind of mercury found in vaccines, not only ends up in the brain, but leaves double the amount of inorganic mercury as methyl mercury, the kind of mercury found in fish. This work is groundbreaking because little is known about ethyl mercury, and many health authorities have asserted that the mercury found in vaccines is the “safe kind.” This study also delivers a strong rebuke of the Institute of Medicine’s recommendation in 2004 to no longer pursue the mercury-autism connection.
7. Increases in the number of reactive glia in the visual cortex of Macaca fascicularis following subclinical long-term methyl mercury exposure Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology, 1994 Charleston JS et al, Department of Pathology, School of Medicine, University of Washington The identities of the reactive glial cells and the implications for the long-term function and survivability of the neurons due to changes in the glial population following subclinical long-term exposure to mercury are discussed.
8. Neuroglial Activation and Neuroinflammation in the Brain of Patients with Autism Annals of Neurology, Feb 2005. Diana L. Vargas, MD [Johns Hopkins University] This study, performed independently and using a different methodology than Dr. Herbert (see above) reached the same conclusion: the brains of autistic children are suffering from inflammation.
9. Autism: A Brain Disorder, or a Disorder That Affects the Brain? Clinical Neuropsychiatry, 2005 Martha R. Herbert M.D., Ph.D., Harvard University Autism is defined behaviorally, as a syndrome of abnormalities involving language, social reciprocity and hyperfocus or reduced behavioral flexibility. It is clearly heterogeneous, and it can be accompanied by unusual talents as well as by impairments, but its underlying biological and genetic basis in unknown. Autism has been modeled as a brain-based, strongly genetic disorder, but emerging findings and hypotheses support a broader model of the condition as a genetically influenced and systemic.
10. Activation of Methionine Synthase by Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 and Dopamine: a Target for Neurodevelopmental Toxins and Thimerosal Molecular Psychiatry, July 2004. Richard C. Deth, PhD [Northeastern University] This study demonstrates how Thimerosal inhibits methylation, a central driver of cellular communication and development.
11. Validation of the Phenomenon of Autistic Regression Using Home Videotapes Archives of General Psychiatry, 2005 Emily Werner, PhD; Geraldine Dawson, PhD, University of WashingtonConclusion This study validates the existence of early autistic regression.
12. Blood Levels of Mercury Are Related to Diagnosis of Autism: A Reanalysis of an Important Data Set Journal of Child Neurology, 2007 M. Catherine DeSoto, PhD, Robert T. Hitlan, PhD -Department of Psychology, University of Northern Iowa Excerpt: “We have reanalyzed the data set originally reported by Ip et al. in 2004 and have found that the original p value was in error and that a significant relation does exist between the blood levels of mercury and diagnosis of an autism spectrum disorder. Moreover, the hair sample analysis results offer some support for the idea that persons with autism may be less efficient and more variable at eliminating mercury from the blood.”
13. Developmental Regression and Mitochondrial Dysfunction in a Child With Autism Journal of Child Neurology, February 2006 Jon S. Poling, MD, PhD, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Johns Hopkins Hospital Excerpt: “Children who have (mitochondrial-related) dysfunctional cellular energy metabolism might be more prone to undergo autistic regression between 18 and 30 months of age if they also have infections or immunizations at the same time.”
14. Oxidative Stress in Autism: Elevated Cerebellar 3-nitrotyrosine Levels American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology, 2008 Elizabeth M. Sajdel-Sulkowska, – Dept of Psychiatry, Harvard Medical School Excerpt: The preliminary data suggest a need for more extensive studies of oxidative stress, its relationship to the environmental factors and its possible attenuation by antioxidants in autism.”
15. Large Brains in Autism: The Challenge of Pervasive Abnormality The Neuroscientist, 2005. Martha Herbert, MD, PhD, Harvard University This study helps refute the notion that the brains of autistic children are simply wired differently and notes, “neuroinflammation appears to be present in autistic brain tissue from childhood through adulthood.” Dr. Herbert suggests that chronic disease or an external environmental source (like heavy metals) may be causing the inflammation.
16. Evidence of Toxicity, Oxidative Stress, and Neuronal Insult in Autism Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Nov-Dec 2006. Janet Kern, Anne Jones, Department of Psychiatry, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center “This article discusses the evidence for the case that some children with autism may become autistic from neuronal cell death or brain damage sometime after birth as result of insult; and addresses the hypotheses that toxicity and oxidative stress may be a cause of neuronal insult in autism… the article discusses what may be happening over the course of development and the multiple factors that may interplay and make these children more vulnerable to toxicity, oxidative stress, and neuronal insult.”
17. Oxidative Stress in Autism Pathophysiology, 2006. Abha Chauhan, Ved Chauhan This study provides a helpful overview of the growing evidence supporting the link between oxidative stress and autism.
18. Thimerosal Neurotoxicity is Associated with Glutathione Depletion: Protection with Glutathione Precursors Neurotoxicology, Jan 2005. S. Jill James, PhD, University of Arkansas This recent study demonstrates that Thimerosal lowers or inhibits the body’s ability to produce Glutathione, an antioxidant and the body’s primary cellular-level defense against mercury.
19. Aluminum adjuvant linked to gulf war illness induces motor neuron death in mice Neuromolecular Medicine, 2007 Christopher Shaw, Ph.D., Department of Ophthalmology and Program in Neuroscience, University of British Columbia This study demonstrates the extreme toxicity of the aluminum adjuvant used as a preservative in vaccines.
20. Environmental mercury release, special education rates, and autism disorder: an ecological study of Texas Health & Place, 2006 Raymond F. Palmer, University of Texas Health Science Center This study demonstrated the correlation between environmental mercury and autism rates in Texas.
21. Autism Spectrum Disorders in Relation to Distribution of Hazardous Air Pollutants in the SF Bay Area Environmental Health Perspectives, September, 2006 Gayle Windham, Div. of Environmental and Occupational Disease Control, California Department of Health Services Excerpt: “Our results suggest a potential association between autism and estimated metal concentrations, and possibly solvents, in ambient air around the birth residence.”
22. A Case Series of Children with Apparent Mercury Toxic Encephalopathies Manifesting with Clinical Symptoms of Regressive Autistic Disorder Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, 2007 David A. Geier, Mark R. Geier This study reviewed the case histories and medical profiles of nine autistic children and concluded that eight of the nine children were mercury toxic and this toxicity manifested itself in a manner consistent with Autism Spectrum Disorders.
23. Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and blood mercury level: a case-control study in chinese children Neuropediatrics, August 2006 – P.R. Kong Excerpt: “There was significant difference in blood mercury levels between cases and controls, which persists after adjustment for age, gender and parental occupational status. The geometric mean blood mercury level was also significantly higher in children with inattentive and combined subtypes of ADHD. High blood mercury level was associated with ADHD. Whether the relationship is causal requires further studies.”
24. The Changing Prevalence of Autism In California Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, April 2003 Mark F. Blaxill, David S. Baskin, and Walter O. Spitzer This study helps to refute the supposition made by some researchers that autism’s epidemic may only be due to “diagnostic substitution”.
25. Mitochondrial Energy-Deficient Endophenotype in Autism American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology 2008 J. Jay Gargus and Faiqa Imtiaz, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, “While evidence points to a multigenic etiology of most autism, the pathophysiology of the disorder has yet to be defined and the underlying genes and biochemical pathways they subserve remain unknown.”
26. Bridging from Cells to Cognition in Autism Pathophysiology: Biological Pathways to Defective Brain Function and Plasticity American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology 2008 Matthew P. Anderson, Brian S. Hooker and Martha R. Herbert, Cambridge Health Alliance/Harvard Medical School/Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center “We review evidence to support a model where the disease process underlying autism may begin when an in utero or early postnatal environmental, infectious, seizure, or autoimmune insult triggers an immune response that increases reactive oxygen species (ROS) production in the brain that leads to DNA damage (nuclear and mitochondrial) and metabolic enzyme blockade and that these inflammatory and oxidative stressors persist beyond early development (with potential further exacerbations), producing ongoing functional consequences.”
27. Heavy-Metal Toxicity—With Emphasis on Mercury John Neustadt, ND, and Steve Pieczenik, MD, PhD Conclusion: Metals are ubiquitous in our environment, and exposure to them is inevitable. However, not all people accumulate toxic levels of metals or exhibit symptoms of metal toxicity, suggesting that genetics play a role in their potential to damage health.
28. Evidence of Mitochondrial Dysfunction in Autism and Implications for Treatment American Journal of Biochemistry and Biotechnology Daniel A. Rossignol, J. Jeffrey Bradstreet MtD and oxidative stress may also explain the high male to female ratio found in autism due to increased male vulnerability to these dysfunctions.
29. Proximity to point sources of environmental mercury release as a predictor of autism prevalence
Health & Place, 2008 Raymond F. Palmer et al, University of Texas Health Science Center This study should be viewed as hypothesis-generating – a first step in examining the potential role of environmental mercury and childhood developmental disorders. Nothing is known about specific exposure routes, dosage, timing, and individual susceptibility. We suspect that persistent low-dose exposures to various environmental toxicants, including mercury, that occur during critical windows of neural development among genetically susceptible children (with a diminished capacity for metabolizing accumulated toxicants) may increase the risk for developmental disorders such as autism.
30. Epidemiology of autism spectrum disorder in Portugal: prevalence, clinical characterization, and medical conditions Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology, 2007 Guiomar Oliveira MD PhD et al, Centro de Desenvolvimento da Criança, Hospital Pediátrico de Coimbra; Assunção Ataíde BSc, Direcção Regional de Educação do Centro Coimbra; The objective of this study was to estimate the prevalence of autistic spectrum disorder (ASD) and identify its clinical characterization, and medical conditions in a paediatric population in Portugal.