James May to circle Isle of Man on life-size Meccano motorbike
Did you know that the gents from Top Gear do a lot more than just make us all laugh on the telly for a few Sundays each year? It’s true, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May all have other projects, newspaper columns or TV shows to keep them busy, but predictably, these aren’t your average day jobs.
May, for example, will be riding the 38-mile-long Isle of Man Tourist Trophy course on, of all things, a full-size motorized trike made of Meccano. Meccano, for those that aren’t in the know, are what our friends across the pond call Erector Sets. Yes, he’s going to run the weaving, hilly Isle of Man TT course on 15,000 pieces of Meccano. How hard can it be? Well, considering the traditionally difficult conditions on the course, the 38-mile length and the Meccano’s 15-mile-per-hour top speed, we’re thinking it’ll be pretty darn hard.
The challenge is part of May’s show that isn’t Top Gear, Toy Stories, which sees Captain Slow take on life-size challenges with children’s toys. He’s previously built a Supermarine Spitfire from an Airfix kit and built a full-size house out of Lego. This is the second time May has featured Meccano on the show, as the third episode of the first season saw him build a life-size, rolling drawbridge.
It certainly sounds like an interesting challenge, and one we can’t wait to see May carry out. Here’s hoping the show, which airs on BBC Two, will make it to the US.
- Report: James May to circle Isle of Man on life-size Meccano motorbike (autoblog.com)
- Rave reviews from the specialist press about Festival of Motorcycling (iomtoday.co.im)
- Flybe announce closure of Isle of Man base (iomtoday.co.im)
- Visit the Sle of Man – It Has So Much to Offer (belfastdaily.co.uk)
- Stansfield House,Dalby, Isle of Man (ravinablog.wordpress.com)
- Isle of Man’s Jurassic Park… For Cows (gizmodo.co.uk)
- Isle of Man Bank Volunteer at the Ayres (hispanicbusiness.com)
- Isle of Man TT triathlon to return in 2014 (sykose.com)
- Arai Unveils Isle of Man TT 2014 Official Helmet (autoevolution.com)