America has allegedly given aid worth more than 150 million dollars to companies in Afghanistan that are suspected of links with terrorist organizations. The revelations come from an investigator who was specially appointed by the U.S. Congress. RT’s Gayane Chichakyan looks at the story.
The Syrian opposition’s refusal to attend the peace conference in Geneva is a result of the desire of its foreign sponsors to thwart the peace process, claims the head of State Duma’s Foreign Relations Committee.
“The Syrian Opposition lacks independence. It totally depends on external support. All its steps are backed with interests and calculations of its foreign sponsors,” Aleksey Pushkov tweeted on Monday.
He also stated that several countries were hoping to thwart the Geneva-2 summit, naming this as the main reason behind the refusal of the Syrian National Council to participate in this meeting.
“There will be more such attempts,” Pushkov wrote.
According to Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov and US Secretary of State John Kerry, the Geneva-2 summit, co-sponsored by Russia and the USA, is currently preliminarily scheduled for mid-November. The final date will be determined soon in consultations with the UN Security Council and the League of Arab States.
On Sunday the head of one Syrian National Council (SNC) George Sabra told reporters that his group would not attend the Geneva-2 talks, adding that any talks were possible only after the removal of President Bashar Assad and his government. Moreover, the SNC leader promised to sever the alliances with any other opposition groups if they decide to take part in Geneva-2 pace conference.
- Syrian opposition totally dependent on foreign sponsors – senior Russian MP (elementulhuliganic.wordpress.com)
- Syrian opposition totally dependent on foreign sponsors – senior Russian MP (thenewsdoctors.com)
- Russia urges US to bring Syrian opposition to the table (voiceofrussia.com)
- Syrian opposition slams al-Qaida-linked militants (bigstory.ap.org)
- Blow to Syria peace talks plan as Syrian National Council backs out (voiceofrussia.com)
- US and Russia at odds as Syria talks continue (bigstory.ap.org)
- Key Syrian opposition group says won’t attend Geneva talks (panarmenian.net)
- Syrian opposition totally dependent on foreign sponsors – senior Russian MP (rt.com)
- Pushkov: Syrian opposition entirely dependent on outside support (sana.sy)
- Assad: Peace Prize Should Have Been Mine! (yalibnan.com)